Faith Handoff – Discipleship
They had become believers and faithfully influenced Timothy for the Lord. But his father apparently wasn’t a Christian. Paul stepped in to recruit Timothy as an aide, and also to act as his spiritual father.
Interact with God’s Word
- How was Paul intentional about discipling Timothy (see Acts 16:1-5)?
- How had Timothy acquired his understanding of the “great truths” that he was to pass on (2:2a)?
- How was Timothy to evaluate and safeguard what he had learned from Paul (2:2a and 1:14)?
- How can you tell that Paul’s assignment to Timothy (in 2:2b) was to do individual mentoring?
- What kind of mentoring would produce learners able to pass their faith on?
- How would your church expand if every believer was winning someone else to faith and equipping him to pass on his faith?
Spend Time in Prayer
Ask God to set spiritual multiplication in motion in your church. Ask Him to begin the process with you, turning you into a reproducing disciple.
13 Hold on to the pattern of right teaching you learned from me. And remember to live in the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus. 14 With the help of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, carefully guard what has been entrusted to you.
2 You have heard me teach many things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Teach these great truths to trustworthy people who are able to pass them on to others.