Psalms Help You Get Real – Approaching God
That’s because David and the other writers honestly poured out their true feelings.
They cried out to God from the depths of despair. They sang to him in the heights of celebration.
Let David’s honesty in this psalm prod you to pray to God with greater intensity and openness.
Interact with God’s Word: Psalm 143:1-12
- Have you ever felt the way David did (vv. 3-4)? Do you feel that way right now?
- Have you, like David (v. 1), told God about your fear or despair?
- When you are in a tight spot, do you try to tough it out, or do you respond like David did (vv. 6-7, 9)?
- What did David ask God to do (vv. 9, 12)? What reasons did he cite (v. 11) for why God should rescue him?
- How might reviewing God’s help in the past (v. 5) provide perspective?
- In the midst of his urgent prayer, how (v. 8) does David express his confidence in God?
- What longer-term outcomes (v. 10) did David expect?
Spend Time in Prayer: Ask God to use the Psalms to help you level with God about what you are feeling, surrender your frustrations to him, and mirror the uninhibited, extravagant praise they offer up.
1 Hear my prayer, O Lord;
listen to my plea!
Answer me because you are faithful and righteous.
2 Don’t put your servant on trial,
for no one is innocent before you.
3 My enemy has chased me.
He has knocked me to the ground
and forces me to live in darkness like those in the grave.
4 I am losing all hope;
I am paralyzed with fear.
5 I remember the days of old.
I ponder all your great works
and think about what you have done.
6 I lift my hands to you in prayer.
I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain.
7 Come quickly, Lord, and answer me,
for my depression deepens.
Don’t turn away from me,
or I will die.
8 Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning,
for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk,
for I give myself to you.
9 Rescue me from my enemies, Lord;
I run to you to hide me.
10 Teach me to do your will,
for you are my God.
May your gracious Spirit lead me forward
on a firm footing.
11 For the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life.
Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress.
12 In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies
and destroy all my foes,
for I am your servant.