Real Disciples Do Church – Being the Body of Christ
The writer of Hebrews reminded his readers why their initial decision was still valid. If they patiently endured, he urged, it would build their character and lead to victory. But he realized their resolve was likely to founder if they tried to tough it out in isolation.
Interact with God’s Word
- Do you know a professing believer who is neglecting to meet regularly with one church family?
- Would you expect that this individual is holding tightly to his hope or beginning to waver?
- What are some ways in which the very act of meeting together strengthens the faith of those who gather?
- In what two ways can believers who meet together (v. 25) support each other?
- Brainstorm some ways you could do the kinds of encouraging singled out in verse 24.
- Why does the fact that we are getting closer to the day when Christ will return make regular involvement in a church family more essential than ever?
Spend Time in Prayer: Ask God to provide you with a fresh impetus for growth from your church fellowship, and to help you determine how you can best make a vital contribution to your family there.
23 Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.