A Relationship Redefined – Loving Spouse and Family
But in response to the first question on their checklist, Jesus countered with a more basic question: what was the basis for the checklist itself?
He then condemned their nifty attempt to checkmate the clear teaching of the law by misapplying another regulation (Numbers 30:2).
Interact with God’s Word
- What are some traditions that add richness and meaning to life?
- When do traditions cross a line from good to wrong (v. 3)?
- Is the biblical concept of “honor” limited to showing love and respect (v. 5)?
- Does our society’s tradition of living in nuclear rather than extended families release us from an obligation to care for them personally?
- Do our society’s “traditions” of corporate and governmental pension and health care provisions release us from an obligation to provide financially for our parents?
- Can you think of other ways in which we may have substituted man-made expectations for God’s commands?
Spend Time in Prayer: Ask God to help you determine how you should observe the Fifth Commandment in a manner that honors Him, as well as your parents.
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you, by your traditions, violate the direct commandments of God? 4 For instance, God says, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks evil of father or mother must be put to death.’
5 But you say, ‘You don’t need to honor your parents by caring for their needs if you give the money to God instead.’ 6 And so, by your own tradition, you nullify the direct commandment of God.