Why Should We Give?
Every day, we are given the opportunity to open our hearts to the many gifts we have been given by our God. We are asked at that time, to consider what we can give back to God, through our giving. We should remember that giving is not seasonal, but continual.
When considering our giving, there are several questions we need to ask ourselves.
• Are we giving for the right reasons?
• Are we giving to our Church to “keep the lights on” or to advance God’s word?
• Are we looking inward or outward?
• Are we giving for mortar or missions?
• Are we giving out of a feeling of begrudged obligation or out of gratitude?
• Do we give only to the ministries we agree with rather than to the overall mission of the church?
There are several reasons people don’t like to give to the church.
• Some may feel that they need to spend the money on themselves and their families.
• Some may have disagreements with church leaders over how the money is spent.
• Perhaps some fear the future – not knowing if they will have enough.
For all the reasons we may have for not being a faithful steward, the Bible gives us reasons why we should.
So, why should we give?
- We give financially to God because he has given us everything.
- When we give to God, we are expressing our love to him.
- We should give to expand his Son’s church.
- When we give financially to God, we will become rich in every way, but especially spiritually.
- God gives to us so that we are able to give yet some more.
- Every possession we have is through God.
- He provides for us so that we can use His resources to bring Him glory and expand His kingdom.
- God deserves and expects us to give to Him first before anything else.
- He expects us to give cheerfully and to give regularly and in accordance with our income.
Please prayerfully consider all these principals today and every day when determining your level of giving.
10 Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.