Hunger in America: 1 in 7 Rely on Food Banks
USA Today had an interesting and disturbing article yesterday entitled, “Hunger in America: 1 in 7 Rely on Food Banks.” You can find the complete article at: Hunger in America
Here are several observations made in the article:
- Nationwide, 25% of military families – 620,000 households – need help putting food on the table, according to a study by Feeding America, a network of 200 food banks.
- One in seven Americans – 46 million people – rely on food pantries and meal service programs to feed themselves and their families.
- “Children are going to school, not looking forward to learning but looking forward to eating”
- “Many of our families, if they don’t come, will have to choose between paying rent or their kids eating that night”
- “The people who come to us for help are coming more regularly. We aren’t a one-time emergency stop anymore. We are a staple for them…”
America is a wonderfully blessed country. We have enough food and opportunity to go around. But some miss out and go hungry. 20% of children in Pennsylvania do not know where their next meal will come from. Food security is a problem for many in our community.
For many years, Central Church has provided a food ministry outreach to our local community. Despite the small size of our congregation, we provided over 10,000 free meals to our community in 2013.
People come to Central Church who haven’t eaten for days. Some have been out of work for years and don’t expect to find work anytime soon. They have no money. They’ve run out of benefits. They feel that life will only get worse.
They are hungry and need someone to care, and the numbers of the hungry coming to us continue to increase as we move through 2014.
Every meal that we serve is hot, nutritious, and wholesome. A warm welcome and a promise from God go a long way to life a heavy heart. When someone knows how much God cares, they don’t feel lonely and powerless anymore.
Please join us to care for those in hard times. If you can volunteer, or if you can help provide supplies for meals, please contact us. If you would like to contribute financially, please click on the above “Give” tab.
Your gifts meet desperate needs for food, and you pave the way for hurting people to be blessed.